There is a huge list of of updates and some great new features for bloggers which i must say all wordpress bloggers must check out. Click Here to read about the new changes in WordPress 2.6 and what it has to offer us Bloggers.
Here is a list of some of the small changes in WordPress 2.6
- Word count! Never guess how many words are in your post anymore.
- Image captions, so you can add sweet captions like Political Ticker does under your images.
- Bulk management of plugins.
- A completely revamped image control to allow for easier inserting, floating, and resizing. It’s now fully integrated with the WYSIWYG.
- Drag-and-drop reordering of Galleries.
- Plugin update notification bubble.
- Customizable default avatars.
- You can now upload media when in full-screen mode.
- Remote publishing via XML-RPC and APP is now secure (off) by default, but you can turn it on easily through the options screen.
- Full SSL support in the core, and the ability to force SSL for security.
- You can now have many thousands of pages or categories with no interface issues.
- Ability to move your
wp-contentdirectories to a custom location, for clean SVN checkouts.
- Select a range of checkboxes with shift-click.
- You can toggle between the Flash uploader and the classic one.
- A number of proactive security enhancements, including cookies and database interactions.
- Stronger better faster versions of TinyMCE, jQuery, and jQuery UI.
- Version 2.6 fixes approximately 194 bugs.
It is said that WordPress 2.6 is pretty much identical to 2.5 from a Designers point of view – It’s also said that WordPress version 2.5 won’t be maintained further so its a good idea to Upgrade right away. The upgrade shouldn’t be a problem as i just noticed. It was pretty straight-forward and easy – Took me about 5 minutes to finish the upgrade.
P.S:- I finally found where they put the Word Counter 🙂 – it was on the right side panel just below where you see the Save and Publish buttons.
Have fun blogging! 😉